Alice Walker on Obama | Views | TheRoot.com

Alice Walker on Obama | Views | TheRoot.com

I haven't hear Alice Walker's beautiful voice in a long time. Recently a good friend forwarded the link to a story Ms Walker wrote for The Root online journal and once again I wept. This time in the good way that we can weep when the connection is deep and good. Our lives matter and our connections remain more important than the particular things that "seem" to project deep divisions and differences. I cannot have Ms Walker's experiences but I can relate to them in ways that are meaningful to me and to any work I choose to do with other women of color. Bell Hooks once wrote that too often the feminisms we encounter in academia do not lend themselves to the realities in the lives of women of color. She was right and Walker's sharing is another way of showing ways of working with the distinctions and more importantly making connections with one another.

I hope again and have begun to work for the "greater" good by working with like minded people in my corner of the world. Walker and other women inspire the hope as does the young man who seems to resonate the ideas and words of heroes of younger years. So Walker's metaphor of the goddess who sees three views is excellent for those of us who need to hope for the future, recall the past and work in the present.

Comments

Popular Posts