Latest Doings and Readings

I've not posted for a longtime because as usual I am reading on a varied number of topics, mostly spirituality, along with current events. In fact, it was the news that finally drove me back to my books on spirituality. I'll post a review of a  couple of them later in the month. Now all I can say is that if it were not for Lawrence O'Donnell I would be a wreck.

I hadn't intended to depend completely on Social Security ten or fifteen years ago. At that time, I had returned to school with high hopes of getting an education that would put me in a career where I could thrive and not merely survive. I should have learned that as soon as I entered the "academy" academia would change for workers in my field. Additionally, I did not know just how much an older mind could retain and how difficult it would be for me to overcome my personal "travails". Mom died months before I defended my dissertation; adult children kept me in the loop about their problems, and I had not yet learned how much support I needed. Mom and I were close despite vastly different points of view on how my life should be lived. I called her daily or she called me. The year prior to her death everyone in the family circled the wagons to keep her spirits up.

Nonetheless, I did not take a time out from school to attend to life. Stubbornly, I plunged ahead failing to note that I was changing and not necessarily for the better. The bottom line is that I did not get and keep wonderful positions that placed me on solid financial footing. No I wound up depending on Social Security. Recent events in policy and debt ceiling debates have a great number of people upset and concerned. So when I kept to my habits of news watching and reading news, I began to feel rattled and very insecure. It seems that the only newscaster who soothed me lately was Mr. O'Donnell because he painstakingly broke down the kabuki drama taking place in Washington D. C.

So today Saturday, I'll go back to the Art of Happiness  and other works featuring the Dalai Lama's teachings. I'll take the weekend and early week off from news, although I'd love to do it, I can't completely break my addiction to knowing.

Soon I'll share some of my learning because in the Buddhist teachings I see much of my early instructions from the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart.  Coming full circle is a good thing for truth then and truth now can keep me from fracturing my soul.

Comments

Popular Posts