Thinking Back to the Past

I was born in New York but only partially raised there as my mother took me with her when I was 12 to California. Living in California was hard at first as the lifestyle differed from New York's, the landscape seemed larger--broader and brighter. I mean that literally since the sunshine seemed to blind me during the first days out west. I bring this aspect of my life up because things New York create a feeling of nostalgia for the city. Today I happened upon a piece by New York Times columnist, David Gonzalez. The story hearkened memories of watching baseball with my Dad both at the Yankees' Stadium and on television. It also reawakened the longing I had for times when family was closer at hand and the sounds, rhythms, and taste of life was Puerto Rican. Here's the story I picked up from the ">NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/20/nyregion/20bronx.html?ex=1379649600&en=a8212b206b710e4d&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink


Comments

Popular Posts