Native Americans and Language

I am making an effort to resurrect my initial writing impulses I began rereading and expanding on my collection of Momaday and Silko materials.

I found many books, including a children's book by Momaday. I still find his discussions of identity and language powerful, metaphysical, and totally in line with my thinking. Language is more than a tool with which we communicate. Per Momaday, "Man" is made of words. The words and the stories are what we leave behind along of course with memories we make with people. Most of our identification comes from the tribes we belong to and those of us who do not feel as if we belong to any particular group or who feel as if we do not fit with any group can tell our stories as a way of creating our identity within the universe we inhabit.

Comments

Popular Posts