Returning to Some Basics

Yes,  I've taught for many years and despite the wisdom of NOT going on to get a Ph D in the early 1990s, I went and did it.My exposure to theories that applied to our lives as citizens sent me off like Don Quixote tilting at windmills. I forgot a basic tenet of teaching communication in the written form--audience. Too  often my  classes would go into tangents that I now realize were not "wise". How did I arrive at this reflection? A training session on improving comments for student writers led me back to the basic point--language. We must focus on the language students use and address the writing issues that arise from their fledgling writing status.

This reflection leads me to consider my own work so that it can become a better example of the kinds of writings with which I invite my students to engage. As noted in the previous entry to this blog, I have plenty of pieces of writing on my computer which need to be made public. So henceforth I will plug along with my work.Who knows I may share more of my interests in language with others so they can become interested in the wonders of words. Words do lead us to new worlds. Many of these worlds can be of our own making and worthy of existence along the worlds others have created.

Comments

Popular Posts