Arianna on Huckabee's Surge in Iowa

I've not been writing too often in my blogs. I've a lot of unfinished entires that I'll finish later tonight but I had to respond to this piece by Arianna Huffington. She's awesome and I'm so happy for the success of the Huffington Post. I like to have one place to go to where I can get a variety of opinions from Andrew Sullivan to Marty Kaplan. They're all good writers with diverse or often contrary opinions. But when hardcore Republicans are decrying the state of their party I actually gain hope that we will finally listen to the words in the constitution of the United States. That we will actually disentangle religion from politics. I realize we all behave in accordance with our personal beliefs and that many of those beliefs have religious ideological overtones. However, most religions have many things in common -- murder is wrong, stealing is bad, coveting a neighbor's husband is bad etc. But those rules are common sensical because they provide order to any social group. However to claim that one's religious beliefs should be the the basis for laws that cover all people in a country that is going too far. Why? Well many of us would not want the government dictating our personal practices, for we do not all follow the same religion.

Just the other day while doing a very Latina thing (at least in my family--I was getting my nails done) I met a very bright and attractive Muslim woman who went on to disparage the undue influence of "Jews" in this country. While I understand the reason why she would think this, I understood that there are other elements for the relationship between the United States and Israel that have nothing to do with Israel being a "Jewish" state, but everything to do with evangelical fervor for the coming of the end of days.

So I cannot support discrimination of Jews because a nation that is almost a Jewish theocracy is heavily supported by the United States.

I do understand other kinds of relationships that are going on to tie the US to Israel.

So do we need an evangelical neo-con in the White House? I think not and I pray that fair minded Republicans will not allow the man from Hope Arkansas to go to the White House. Of course, I'm not hoping for the wife of the other Man from Hope Arkansas to make in to the White House again.

Obama or John Edwards seem to me to be the likeliest to win although I hope they pay attention to Bill Richardson and Joe Biden when they win the Donkey's trophy.

Comments

Popular Posts